Friday, September 14, 2012

Line Out - Thumbnails and more!

Hey all!

So classes have just started up again, and I'm really looking forward to the new quarter! This quarter I'm finally getting a class that focuses on making finished comic pages, as well as a class for Cover Design! Both are going to be alot of fun for me, as well as challenging me in new ways!


Most of the stuff I've been working on for these classes has been process work, but I thought it would be fun to show some of the sketches and designs, as well as thumbnails for the final pages.



For the rest of the quarter I'll be working on a story called Line Out that I wrote for this class. It's a short scene involving two computer hackers trying to escape from some MIBs in a crowded bus terminal. Anyway, it's all sci-fi and stuff, so I'm pumped to draw it.





Kara, my protagonist. She's gotta cool robot arm that has really powerful hacking technology built in that can interface with her brain. 



Vincent, my other lead. He's more of a side kick sort, but he is also a proficient hacker.





For this class we will actually be doing 4 sets of 4 thumbnails for 16 total. Eventually we will be doing 3 of the four sets to finished completed pages!

Here are the first two sets. I think it would be fun to show two different ways to tell the same story, and also show a little bit of how I work. Thumbnails are basically for me, I end up redrawing everything later anyway, but here I can get a good idea of what I want on each page, the pacing, and a basic idea of framing and composition.





This is my first set, and probably overall the closest in my head to what I was thinking as I wrote. There are a few panels here and there I will definitely need to do some serious perspective work on, but I'm pretty pleased with these overall. 





The 2nd set. I think the last page here looks awesome, mainly that shot of the jump. Both are pretty epic but there is something about that one to me that I just really enjoy. 



So there it is! Over this quarter I don't know that I'll be uploading every version of the pages that I do, but the final inked and lettered version will definitely be up here! Keep an eye out!




2 comments:

  1. These look great, man! Your skills are improving at warp speed. Can't wait to see the finished pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! I'm really looking forward to doing them!

      Delete